Ellen’s porch bench got worn out and busted, so I got commissioned to construct a new one. She picked out a style from this page of benches, and I got the supplies and threw one together.
Constructing it meant that I finally had to get around to buying a pocket hole jig, which wasn’t as cheap as I felt it should be (even from Harbor Freight). However, after using it for the first time, I lamented how long I’ve gone without having one. It’s pretty darned handy, and I wish I made the investment sooner.
The bench was finished with a satin polyurethane, which really brought out a rich gold in the yellow pine. Not so much in the dimensional-lumber parts of the bench frame, though.
Finished it up by cutting a stencil and spraypainting a requested saying on the back slats of the bench. Came out pretty darned sharp.